street sign
logo

3901 Davis Blvd., two blocks east of Airport Road

map
logo

3901 Davis Blvd., east of Airport Road

street sign
map

Vestry meeting of June 18, 2020

St. Paul’s Episcopal Church
Vestry Meeting Minutes
June 18, 2020
 
The Vestry meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Fr. Tom, in Trinity Hall so as to Social Distance safely.
 
Members Present: Fr. Tom, Rector; Charlene Connolly, Senior Warden; Don Anderson, Junior Warden;  David Abernethy, Treasurer; Joyce Cashin, Judy Allen,  Lee Perry, Dick Emerson, Yvon Hive and Van Geoghegan.  Present via phone conference call: Don Anderson; Junior Warden.
 
Fr. Tom opened the meeting with the Collect for Our Country from the Book of Common Prayer.
 
Minutes: Dick moved that the May minutes be approved, and David seconded the motion. The motion was unanimously approved. 
 
Financials:  The May financials were reviewed with the vestry by David Abernethy. The overall income was up 4%. Expenses are -8.47, which is
 -20.63% less than 2019.
 
Rectors Reports
 
1.      Disinfecting Process:
Fr. Tom reported the need to disinfect has not been a concern till we open up the church to other congregations July 1. Up till this time there is only one service held at 9 am on Sunday morning. Fr. Tom purchased squirt bottles and 3% peroxide to fill them with and will instruct each congregation on how to clean the area they touched/used while in church. This is a CDC approved method for Covid-19 virus killing.
 
2.      Status of PPP ( Paycheck Protection Program) loan application:
Fr. Tom reported our first application with SunTrust did not go through and the communication with the company was not great. After checking with Anne Vickers, at the diocesan office, Fr. Tom had the loan application sent to Kabbage. Currently the loan application it is still active. Fr. Tom asked the Vestry to consider leaving SunTrust and change to another more customer friendly bank. Treasurer David will check into this , with one possibility being Sun Coast. The CDs will be left at SunTrust till they mature to avoid loss fees.
 
3.      Holy Name of Jesus Services:
Fr. Tom talked with Fr. Panel. Fr. Panel decided to wait till July 5 to have their first service in church, after the quarantine.
 
4.      Opening of Sanctuary to Brazilians and Armenians/ Trinity Hall to groups:
Beginning July 1 the church will be open to Sunday services only. Fr. Tom will contact the Brazilian Church and also go over the process of CDC cleansing after use and express the concerns of Bishop Dabney Smith on the Diocesan rulings at this time; no singing, 6 feet apart, wear a mask, 25% capacity. The Armenian Church does not begin to meet till Season begins, so t this time Fr. Tom will not contact them. The motion was approved by Dick and seconded by Van. The vote was unanimously passed.
 
 
5.      Wi-Fi Church:

Fr. Tom said with the use of wi-fi in the sanctuary and the continued use, he would like to check in with Parageeks (our IT people) on what the cost would be to install wi-fi capability in the church. 
 
6.      Trinity Hall
Fr. Tom will contact the groups and go over the process of CDC cleansing after use and bringing their own hand sanitizer. The kitchen of Trinity Hall will not be open for use in July or till further notice. The groups will be notified by Fr. Tom and a sign will be posted on the doors. The motion was approved by Van and seconded by Don, followed with discussion. The vote was unanimously passed.
 
7.      Poll Volunteers:
Richard Breithaupt will not volunteer to gather volunteers from St. Paul’s for the August polls.
 
8.      ECW:
President Joyce Cashin’s report was given and is attached.  ECW balance  is $505.00.
 
9.      Planned Giving/Estate Planning:
Originally Lee Wieber and Richard Breithaupt were going to put on a seminar for St. Paul’s. It was decided legally, having fellow parishioners giving financial advice is not a good idea. It was recommended that a local lawyer, Robert Eardley, will be contacted by Fr. Tom and they will set up at free workshop for St. Paul's.
 
10.  Diocesan Convention in October:
The convention will be virtual this year. Fr. Tom is scheduled to present a workshop virtually on the Baptismal Covenant.
 
11.  Pruning of Trees:
A discussion on the pruning of the trees on the south/west side of the church was held. Diane Breithaupt brought this to the Vestry’s attention. Treasury David will check the budget for 2020 to see if funds were budgeted for this project.
 
12.  Strategic Planning Discussion:
Senior Warden Charlene reviewed with the Vestry how the five steps should be used by them and St. Paul’s.
  1. Grow Our Church Membership
  2. Strengthen the Ties That Bind Us
  3. Enhance our Spiritual Vitality
  4. Increase Fellowship Opportunities
  5. Exercise Stewardship of God’s Bounty
Discussion was made on each point. Van volunteered to organize a “Call a St. Paul’s Friend”. Van will go through the directory and give each Vestry member a list of people who are unable to get out and about at this time, a call and just visit.
 
13.  Stewardship Conference:
The stewardship conference will be virtual and held August 22. Fr. Tom will contact Linda Connelly to see if she would be willing to chair the committee again this year, and if so invite her to join the conference. 
 
14.  Property Report:
Junior Warden Don gave the property report. The report is attached. Don questioned the Flood Insurance for 2020. Lee checked into this and the insurance policy is attached.
 
15.  Farmers’ Market Update:
Lee brought up the question, is it too early to plan for our next Farmers’ Market? Dick reported he spoke to Peter Lund, the Farmers’ Market manager, and Peter said the applications are stuffed in the envelopes ready to be mailed out early September if we have the go-ahead with the county and the Covid-19 virus conditions. The opening date is planned for November 7, 2020. 
 
16.  Misc. Reports:
Van reports UTO sent $670 to the diocese.
Dick reported Peter Lund, the manager of Farmers’ Market, said if we have the go ahead from the Diocese and the county, he has the applications already stuffed and ready to mail out for the market in November.
Joyce reported on information from a Cape Coral Farmer’s Market. They take food stamps at the market to help out the local community. Joyce has information on how to implement this if we would want to use the program at our market. At this time it was tabled till later.
 
 
Adjournment was at 7:45 pm.
Next meeting will be July 16, 2020 at 6:30 pm.
 
Respectfully submitted,
Lee Perry                                                         Deborah Avery                      
Clerk of the Vestry                                         Recording Secretary