St. Paul’s Episcopal Church
Vestry Meeting Minutes
August 25, 2022
The vestry met in Serson Hall at 6:30 pm. Fr. Tom opened the meeting with a prayer for Joyce Cashin who passed away August 12. Joyce was an active and very loved vestry member of St. Paul’s.
Members Present: Fr. Tom, Rector, Rich Shea, David Abernethy, Steve Carnell, Van Geoghegan, Judy Martin, Don Anderson, and Judy Allen. Present via zoom were Peter Lund, Sr. Warden and Nora Broszeit, Treasurer. Guests present were Tom and Charlene Connolly, and Betty Lentz.
Storytelling festival and workshops: Betty Lentz presented a proposal to the vestry on having a Storytelling Festival and Workshops. The team is made up of Betty Lentz, Lee Barron, Ken Eastlack, Steve Carnell, and Quincy Thoeni. The team is asking for $2500-$3000 to start up this event and hopefully annual event. The vestry asked if the group would present a more in-depth report to them in September. If the vestry approves is will be put into the budget of 2023.
Minutes: Van moved that the June minutes with changes be approved, and Judy Martin seconded the motion. The motion was unanimously approved.
Reports from Fr. Tom:
1. Junior Warden: Fr. Tom reported we need a new Junior Warden. Rich Shea volunteered to be Junior Warden till the end of the Year, January 2023. Steve made a motion to accept Rich as Junior Warden, and Judy A. seconded the motion. The motion was unanimously approved.
Rich will become a signer of checks now that Joyce is gone.
Van volunteered to call Hibiscus Golf course to cancel the October Tournament.
Nora volunteered to be an alternate for the Annual Convention in October.
Our new Junior Warden, Rich and Judy Allen will do an inspection of Cordova Cleaning Services this Tuesday after they do their weekly cleaning. The three year contract is up in October 2022.
2. Senior Warden: Peter presented a list of Capital Improvements and Major Purchases (2022).
Irrigation Repair/Pressure Washer/Altar Repair/Electric Generators (2)/Arborist/Lawn Vacuum/Backpack Blower. Attached list and prices. The vestry tabled the improvements and purchases for more discussion.
3. Day Care: Fr. Tom said he would contact Carol Bectold to see if she would be able to meet with the vestry in September, to give us more information about starting up a daycare on the grounds of St. Paul’s.
4. Eleanor: Fr. Tom suggested a reception/brunch after the Sunday Service on September 25 for Eleanor Phelps. This will be her last Sunday with St. Paul’s. Fr. Tom appointed Van to plan the reception.
5. Budget for God’s Gardeners and Liturgical Flowers. Concerns about monies for the God’s Gardeners landscaping and liturgical flowers were brought up. The vestry suggested these areas be put into the budget for 2023.
6. Financial Report: The latest financial report was from June. With the turnover of Accountant and Bookkeeper positions, a newer version was not completed.
7. September vestry meeting: Will be September 22, not the 15th.
8. Executive Session: The vestry met to discuss compensation for the new Music Director and Bookkeeper for St. Paul’s.
Van Geoghegan, Clerk of Vestry Deborah Avery, Recording Secretary